[NMCycling] Santa Fe Cyclist struck

Jackie Shane via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Nov 14 11:13:02 MST 2017

Last Friday Irena Ossola was struck by a driver in Santa Fe and nearly
killed.    http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/santa-fe-
cyclist-seriously-injured-in-accident/article_266ccca9-
913f-5d3f-bbcd-309b67ef1b7f.html

Irena was struck by a man in an SUV who turned left into her as Irena was
proceeding straight down the hill.  The driver claimed that the sun was in
his eye, so he proceeded anyway.  The driver has not been cited.  Though
the NM sun is indeed harsh as the sun sets, I visited the scene and found
that at this point in the road, the sun is actually blocked by a house and
some trees.  Besides it being unlawful to turn when one is blinded, I see
no reason for the driver to have had this handicap at all.  Irena is
currently at UNMH stable and probably unconscious after two surgeries to
repair her eye, her shoulder, her hand, which had five fractures, and other
sustained injuries.  She is looking at a painful and long recovery.  A week
ago she was a pro-cyclist representing New Mexico internationally.

Irena was struck on Alameda just west of the Siler traffic circle where the
city ends, and the county jurisdiction takes over.  I hold the driver at
fault.  However, several years ago I complained to the MPO, the NMDOT and
our Governor about how unsafe this area is.  I was ignored by the Governor,
told that partial paving is fine by NMDOT, and the MPO said there was no
money to pave, even though they paved this year (!)

We must do more than just paint some bikes white, do a ride of silence, and
grab our cars to get to a ride because "cycling in New Mexico is getting
too dangerous." Oregon cyclists sued their way to a better infrastructure.
  I hope that Irena, who will have legal standing because of her injuries,
will have her day in court, but that is her personal choice.  We need to
ask ourselves, what can we do to make our state a safer place to ride.

Jackie Shane