[Hhsband] Upcoming week and updates

Mary Scofield maryscof at scofie.net
Sat Aug 5 12:18:01 MDT 2017

Good morning all - HHS Band has had an exciting start to the year and
POB hasn't even arrived!

The majority of student phones were recovered by the police after
Thursday's theft. The boosters are making sure that the students are
made whole. We will be replacing a phone and stolen cash.

Truck - APS food services has a decommissioned 20' truck with lift gate
that they are lending the Band. We need to somehow thank them - thinking
on that one.  Our old truck is being fixed by APS M&O, but it will take
a while.  Ms G and I are going to look at the loaner and figure out how
to get everything inside. We'll keep you posted.

At last count we are about 70 kids!  That's a 29% growth from last year
and 180% growth from the first year Ms G was (2012) here.  Our color
guard is going to be 12-15 this year.  Ms G thinks our show is gearing
up really well and she's so excited.  I got to watch the band learning
show moves on Thursday and it was awesome. *I think we need to watch
that Ms G doesn't get stolen to dance in music videos.....*

Another interesting fact is that last year out of our 54 students only 2
owned their own instruments. So you can see how important support is for
our kids.  HHS keeps the annual band fee at $125 so fundraising is a
large part of our efforts. It will be even more challenging this year as
we have heard that there is very little, if any, money for buses to
football games. With 70 kids, 2 buses - the total is over $400 per game.

Band Camp: Monday - Thursday.  Kathy I and Mike G are on for water
jug/ice fillups for the 4 days. Thursday at noon there will be an ice
cream party in the band room for students.  I'll be bringing ice cream
and toppings. We have bowls, spoons and scoops in the band room and so
far I have 2 servers (Kathy I and Melecia) if you can help serve please
let me know.  MARYSCOF at SCOFIE.NET

Friday is the band concert and cook-out.  Mike G, Tim S, Manny M will be
bringing grills -  I'd still like two more grills (along with cooks) -
we have a lot more folks to grill burgers to feed. Please let me know if
you have one you could bring - we have pickup trucks to help move if
needed. Mary S is in charge of meat, veggie burgers, buns, cheese and
condiments. We will start cooking at 4:30 and there will be aluminum
pans and foil to keep everything hot. Can someone bring some garage bags
for trash.

I also need volunteers to help man a table for parent sign-ups for the
Boosters.  It would be great if we could have both an English and
Spanish speaker at the table. With 70 kiddos and a bunch of seniors we
need to increase our Booster ranks.

The Concert will be outside this year because Ms G is having the color
guard perform with the band. Which means the cooks will get to hear the
music!   All attendees should bring camp chairs to listen to the band!

After the concert we will need serving folks to help keep the food lines
going smoothly, again lots more people, so we are looking at a few more
serving lines. If you have a folding table let me know. Ms G will be
assigning potluck dishes to the students.

After the food there will be a dye party - parents - bring a tarp to
cover your car seats, the kids will be a little messy. I've also seen
garbage bag covers (of course with a cut for the kids head).

Saturday 8/12 - car wash at Jim's automotive from 11-2. If possible all
band kids should attend. Its fun and very busy.  We are usually washing
four cars at a time.  Also please tell all your friends and neighbors
about the car wash, if they can't come they usually give a donation
anyway. Jim's automotive is at the northwest corner of Washington and
Coal. This is right where Zuni splits into Coal and Lead.

Coming up soon -   MARCH-A-THON  8/26/17

Mary Scofield

HHS Band Booster President