[Neighbors] Raccoons

kingkb via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Jun 29 13:49:16 MDT 2019

Hi all,

Here's a link with info on many critters, including
racoons -- scroll down, not in alphabetical order.

https://www.cabq.gov/environmentalhealth/urban-biology/urban-wildlife/common-wildlife-and-how-to-respond

Also, if you Google, "are racoons protected in nm" you will see many
articles, including one "Rascally Racoons" that mentions a couple of
women who have been known to trap them. There's also a pdf that looks
promising, but it's probably too large to attach and send (gave up
downloading to my phone, too).

Turns out, someone who wrote earlier
was correct that fish and game will come out, but only if they are a
nuisance. And they are, indeed, state protected for bearers! Wild.

Here's hoping knowledge is power in helping us deal with the racoons.

On Jun 28 2019 5:13 PM, kingkb via Neighbors_nobhill-nm wrote:

I've read several responses and wonder if we should look into the
"official" recommendations (rather than relying soley on our own ideas).

> I called about these critters a year or so ago when considering
putting in a pond or fountain. Learned racoons will smell and come after
the water, even if it is stored below ground. Hence, no water features
at my place.

> Also was told that racoons are protected (might want
to look into that before getting independent with mitigation).

> Was
also told that "Critter Control" has a contract with the city to trap
and remove them. No cost to the home owner.

> I haven't recently
verified this - but thought it was worth sharing, especially since their
being protected could complicate things

> Anyone out there up for
checking to see if my info is valid?

Dog via Neighbors_nobhill-nm wrote:

>> It's 1am and I was woken by
the high pitched sound of animals fighting. In 35 yrs living here this
had never happened. Went and turned on the outside lights and blew my
kill your eardrums whistle. Next thing I see are 2 raccoons running down
my ancient oak tree and off into the next yard. I fear they attacked the
sweet birdies in the tree. Has anyone else ever seen humongous raccoons
around here? I live on the 300 block of Hermosa NE. Thanks.

Melinda Rand MA

[1]

Neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com

[1]