[Neighbors] RELEASE: City Councilor Pat Davis Reveals Designs Bringing Crosswalks Back to Nob Hill

Davis, Pat via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Oct 10 16:11:22 MDT 2019

RELEASE: Councilor Davis asking for public comments on the proposed crosswalk.

In 2017, City Councilor Pat Davis passed legislation designating $500,000 of Councilor-directed set-aside funds to improve ART designs in historic Nob Hill. The funds were specifically to complete sidewalk expansions, restore parking areas and to restore crosswalks between stops.

Working with the Nob Hill Neighborhood Association, Nob Hill Main Street and merchants, Davis's Council Office funded projects through the City's Municipal Development Department to restore 30 parking spaces (2017) and expand sidewalks for merchants (2019).

Working with the community and the administration's DMD and Transit Departments, Councilor Davis is announcing the release of preliminary designs for a new pedestrian crosswalk in the heart of Nob Hill.

[Davis Crosswalk 1]<https://www.cabq.gov/council/images/davis-crosswalk-1.jpg>[Davis Crosswalk 2]<https://www.cabq.gov/council/images/davis-crosswalk-2.jpg>

"A lot of public input was swept aside in favor of getting started, but I committed to neighbors and merchants to fight for the funding and work to make up for those unfulfilled promises," Davis says. "Today, we're making good on the last one by starting the public input process to install a new crosswalk where one of the busiest pedestrian crossings existed before construction."

If supported by residents and businesses, the project will be funded from Davis' councilor-directed street funds.

The final proposal may also need approval from the Federal Transit Administration.  It is expected that the FTA will allow the city to petition for localized changes after service begins.  Davis says he is opening public comment now so that this project can be among those first in line next year.

Davis' 2017 resolution<https://cabq.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=2967216&GUID=D5018342-F713-4B80-B18B-F261C91CB936&Options=ID|Text|&Search=davis><https://www.cabq.gov/about/offsite.html> required the previous administration to consult with businesses along Central from Girard Blvd. to Washington St. on a plan to widen overlooked sidewalks, they never took action. The office of Councilor Davis stepped in to identify the sidewalks with the greatest deficiencies in the designated area, spoke with businesses, and widened the sidewalks where supported.

"Working with Mayor Keller, we were able to get these projects started," says Davis. "Working together got this done. I want people to see that I'm keeping my promises and I won't stop fighting when it counts."

Public contact can be submitted by emailing Councilor Davis at patdavis at cabq.gov<mailto:patdavis at cabq.gov> or calling his office at 505.768.3152.

See more design pictures online at : https://www.cabq.gov/council/find-your-councilor/district-6/news/city-councilor-pat-davis-reveals-preliminary-designs-bringing-crosswalks-back-to-nob-hill/?abc

Pat Davis
City Councilor, District 6