[Neighbors] CABQ Land Use Facilitated Meeting Re 4501 Central Ave NE

Susan Beard via Neighbors_nobhill-nm neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Oct 17 10:02:42 MDT 2019

I spoke at the meeting about the impact on traffic from cars originating
from the Santana Apartments and the already approved apartments at
Central and Montclaire/Morningside. I anticipate at least 350 or more
cars needing to travel north from Central on a daily basis.  The only
way to go to Smiths, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, stores on Menaul etc is
to go north. The closest north/ south arterials are Carlisle and
Washington. Both streets are narrow with only one lane going each
direction. Already there are huge backups on Carlisle at rush hour.
Already it is difficult to make a left turn from Washington onto Lomas.
Copper is also one lane going in each direction and is used by bicycle
riders. To exit the Santana project it is not possible to turn east on
Central. The only choice is to turn west on Central and then go north on
either Washington or Carlisle. Cars can to east on Copper to San Mateo
but again Copper is a narrow road. Even if residents do not own a car,
they will most likely use Uber or Lyft of Taxi's to get to stores that
are north of Central.  I also fear that if there are traffic backups on
Washington, Carlisle and Copper, drivers will start cutting through
residential neighborhoods.

Any argument about good bus service is hollow. Yes, it is easy to travel
by bus going east and west on Central. However, it is time consuming and
difficult to travel north on a bus from Central in the area of
Washington or Carlisle. I have an 82 year old playwright friend who
lives near San Pedro and Lomas. She has to take 3 buses to travel from
her house to the corner of Central and Girard and spends about an hour
in travel time each way. The buses she relies on also stop running a
little before 8:00 pm. She has had to walk home at night  from a
playwright meeting near Washington and Lomas which is far from safe. In
my opinion a 111 apartment building belongs on a major arterial like San
Mateo. There are large vacant lots on south San Mateo. Of course the
project as designed would not be economically viable without the allure
of Nob Hill. I doubt if it is possible to attract tenants who will pay
$1300/month to live on south San Mateo.

If the neighborhood wants to stop the project, I feel that objecting on
the basis of traffic congestion and streets not designed to handle
approximately 230 extra households using the existing streets. My  230
number includes the new apartments at Montclaire and Central. Of course
the DeAnza apartments will also add to this traffic problem. The
apartment is zoning compliant under the new IDO. The only valid argument
is to object on the basis of traffic. Thank you, Susan Beard