[Neighbors] LUPZ Meeting this Wednesday, August 12 at 5:00 p.m.

Greg Weirs vgweirs at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 20:33:51 MDT 2020

Bill,
Thanks for your efforts on this amendment and for following through.

Please let us know when it will be heard/voted at city council. I would be
willing to make a statement supporting it there.

Greg

On Wed, Aug 12, 2020 at 8:30 PM Bill A via Neighbors_nobhill-nm <
neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

> Update: the LUPZ approved Amendment A17 Site Lighting with no one opposing
> so it will move forward to city council for their final vote,
>
> -Bill
>

> On Aug 12, 2020, at 4:33 PM, Bill A <wm_ashford at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Based on my ongoing involvement in the site lighting amendment I have
> signed up to make a statement in tonights LUPZ Zoom meeting.  Here is my
> planned statement:
>

> •             My name is Bill Ashford I’m an Albuquerque resident and
> speaking on behalf of the Nobhill Neighborhood Association
>
> •             I have comments related to "Council Amendment Packet B,
> Amendment A17, Site lighting".
>
> •             Firstly I would like to thank Councilor Pat Davis and his
> staff for writing amendment A17 and sponsoring it through the IDO update
> process.
>
> •             We are supportive of the amendment and think it should be
> incorporated into the IDO.
>
> •             Bright lights at night can be a nuisance eyesore and detract
> from a resident’s quality of life by creating unwanted glare and disruptive
> light pollution.
>
> •             Bright lights affect adjacent neighbors and, in the case of
> multistory commercial buildings, bright lights on the upper stories affect
> non-adjacent neighbors.
>
> •             Historically the allowable exterior illumination is limited
> by zoning ordinances and the IDO is no exception.
>
> •             In Nobhill a deficiency in the IDO lighting ordinance was
> discovered, an excessively bright multistory commercial building with
> bright lights active in all 96 upper story windows was found to exceed the
> ordinance but because the illumination originated from internal and not
> external fixtures, the ordinance was not enforceable.
>
> •             Amendment A17 would correct this deficiency by revising the
> IDO to also apply to illumination originating inside a building.
>
> •             The allowable brightness for external lights is not reduced
> by this amendment so existing or new lights in parking lots, alleyways and
> sidewalks are not changed, in fact the maximum allowable brightness has
> been slightly increased with this amendment.
>
> •             Thank you for your consideration on this item and hopefully
> Amendment A17 will be approved and included in the updated IDO.

Greg Weirs
505 515 6334 (M)
505 265 9995 (H)
vgweirs at gmail.com