[Neighbors] Application for transfer of location of liquor license to 4200 Central Ave SE

kingkb kingkb at mail.swcp.com
Tue Jun 30 16:13:19 MDT 2020

This information is very helpful and welcome! Not like "the problem"
club at all. Thanks for the detailed update!

I support,

Karen King

On Jun 29 2020 5:43 PM, Patricia Mcpheron via Neighbors_nobhill-nm
wrote:

> Hi Gary and Neighbors
> Good to get more and better
information. Sounds like more of a positive than negative at this point.

Neighbors_nobhill-nm <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

>> Albuquerque Social Club is still open, but they allow smoking
indoors so it's not really a good option for many lgbt people. I will
say they do have good air circulation though, for a smoking friendly
place.

>> The new Sidewinders 4200 location is bright and open, it
has a patio that faces Central like O'Neills pub does (but much
smaller), and a large dedicated parking lot.

>> Here are some of
the activities typical of Sidewinders- so you know it's not similar to
Imbibe: Country dancing, drag shows, competitive pageants, a ton of
community fundraisers, etc. and yes, beer, wine and cocktails. The
owners are regularly there and are very present in the community.

>> For those of you who are on the fence, I hope you can see why it's
not just another nightclub.

>> -Nicole
>>
>> On Mon, Jun 29, 2020
at 4:21 PM kingkb via Neighbors_nobhill-nm
<neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

>>> I had no idea of
the type of club ~ I only remember hearing, quite a while back, of a
disturbance or shooting in the parking lot.

>>> Thanks for the
added information! What about parking?

>>> Good to know imbibe is
no longer active. What happened to the Albuquerque Social Club?

business. There are very few places available to non-straight persons to
socialize, and Sidewinders has always been a safe place. They have also
caused no disturbances, and have provided not only a way to socialize
without feeling like one is in a meat market (which is the implication I
personally glean from the seemingly derisive use of "nightclub" above),
but also a much needed performance venue for many local artists. To
compare Sidewinders to the thankfully defunct and notoriously dangerous
Imbibe is to woefully misunderstand the nature of Renato and Michael's
business, and to woefully misunderstand the needs of an entire segment
of our local community.

looks at a map, there are two private clubs and one bar already in the
immediate area. Adding one more place with an established history of not
being disruptive to their local neighborhood and that brings a genuinely
supportive clientele to the neighborhood can only be a bonus.

Dennis Trujillo via Neighbors_nobhill-nm

agree with Karen's assessment.

2020, at 2:14 PM, kingkb via Neighbors_nobhill-nm

and Neighbors,

gut reaction is that I would strongly prefer to NOT have this type of
business at this address.

liquor citations, it will be open too late and, from all appearances, be
a nightclub. "They want a new location" means Sidewinders, with large
crowds, right in our residential area. The problems with the other
nightclub (nearer the University) strongly suggests this is a wrong
direction for our neighborhood quality of living.

for the opportunity to give input!

Neighbors_nobhill-nm wrote:

> [...]

request for transfer of liquor license location late last week. Hearing
is July 8.

email list to gather input. When input is neutral or positive we
generally don't develop an association position. When neighbors express
questions or concerns we seek the information. If there is strong
concern, we call a special board meeting to explore developing an
association position.

She said the operators of the business are Michael Burdick and Renato
Burdick. They operated the Sidewinder's business on Central east of
Wyoming starting in 2017. She said they did not receive any alcohol
service citations. They wanted a new location.

provided the attached menu which they are now serving at 4200 Central
Ave. with no alcohol.

noon-9 pm. Once allowed by governmental authorities they will be open
noon-2am. (She said hours of operation are not part of the liquor
license transfer of location.)

Stoker. I told her about our email list so she may address questions
here on the email list.

comments to the hearing officer or attend the hearing whether the
association takes a position or not.

Neighborhood Association_

_<image001.jpg>_

Neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com