[Neighbors] Comcast TV Cable

kingkb kingkb at mail.swcp.com
Fri Oct 30 22:45:00 MDT 2020

Hi all,

My TV is not smart (but is a flat screen? Whatever came
right before smart). Streaming works just fine. Have Roku and subscribe
selectively. Some services, like Netflix, have to be paid for - others,
like Newson, are "free" (remember commercials?).

Again, smart tv is
still a choice ~ might want to check to see if the things you want to
watch require it.

Karen

On Oct 30 2020 6:19 PM, RamDas Singh Khalsa
via Neighbors_nobhill-nm wrote:

> I have an indoor HDTV antenna, but
use it as backup in case the Internet goes down. The big reason I prefer
YouTube TV (or Fubo TV) is that they are the only streaming services
with ABC, CBS, NBC and Fox. I can watch those channels with my antenna
but I cannot record any programs on those networks that way. I prefer
having the option to record.

McCart <mark.mccart at yahoo.com> wrote:

>> Someone with more knowledge
than me about the state of TV these days suggested getting an antenna
for local channels and a roku for anything else.

>> Got $20 rabbit
ears for the local channels from Target. Works great. Got all the
locals, plus a bunch of junk channels. Reminds me of the Springsteen
song "57 Channels and Nothing On" -- but I can work around that.

Also got a roku, but haven't set it up yet. We only watch about 6-7
cable channels -- generally speaking, they are AMC, CNN, Comedy Central,
ESPN, Freeform, Hallmark, and HGTV.

>> Here's what I think I know
so far after spending a few hours yesterday surfing the net. Anyone with
better technical knowledge, please feel free to correct me.

get streaming services, you need a smart TV (for internet wifi access).
Our 12 year old TV (as with most old ones) is a dumb TV, but does have a
USB port.

>> Roku plugs into the USB port, thereby giving internet
wifi access. The (as of yet uninstalled) roku I bought on sale at Target
for $28 has a regular price of $40.

>> Roku's FAQ page lists
several services which provide the actual content -- fubo, hulu, Philo,
Sling, and YouTube TV. From looking at their websites (some helpful,
some pathetic unless you agree to sign up), Sling seems to be the best
deal. Two options -- blue and orange, both $30/month with slightly
different packages of channels. You can add other packages of channels
for an additional $5/month.

>> So, it looks like for a $60 upfront
cost for antennal and roku stick, then $35/month, I can get what I want
to watch vs paying $100+ a month for DirecTV. No wonder cable and
satellite companies are losing customers in droves.

>> On Friday,
October 30, 2020, 04:01:41 PM MST, RamDas Singh Khalsa via
Neighbors_nobhill-nm <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

>> I dropped cable many years ago and went to satellite. But the prices
kept going up and up. Now I subscribe to YouTube TV which streams via my
Internet connection. Its prices increased some. It costs around $65 per
month. It includes ABC, NBC, CBS and Fox plus many sports and other
networks. It includes unlimited free DVR service. All you need is an
Internet connection and either a smart TV or a device like Roku Express.
With the same YouTube TV account you can also enjoy programs on your
smartphone, your computer and your iPad. I realize Comcast tends to have
every channel possible, but I have my favorites, and they are on YouTube
TV. You can go to https://tv.youtube.com/ [2] to check their lineup and
offers.

>> On Fri, Oct 30, 2020 at 4:38 PM JRB via
Neighbors_nobhill-nm <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

>>> Hello All: It appears that Comcast TV Cable has deleted channel 149
(MPLEX) from my basic plan. No reduction in monthly price, of course,
just less product at the same cost. Anyone else with Comcast basic plan
TV cable experienced this same thing? I am so sick of Comcast but I
can't find an alternative. Suggestions? State well and buckle-up. There
is some rough air ahead of us with the election and virus.
[1]
>>> This Message Sent To: ramdas.singh at khalsa.com

[1]
>> This Message Sent To: mark.mccart at yahoo.com