[Neighbors] Express your support for the Lead/Coal Smart Lights initiative!

vaneldredge vaneldredge at comcast.net
Tue Feb 9 12:36:07 MST 2021

David and Board, Thank you for your ongoing efforts to address this issue. I don't think spending hundreds of thousands of tax dollars on an experimental traffic light system is the answer. The same type of motorist who ignores posted speed limits also disregards stop signs, yield signs, red lights and round a bouts. This technology could very well just result in speeding drivers running the red light and subsequently causing more crashes. What I feel needs to happen is more local police enforcement in this area. An officer citing the driver immediately stops the dangerous action. Additionally the officer presence can address other crimes in the area. For example,  a police officer at the intersection of Lead and Morningside with a radar to enforce speed laws can also be observant of any criminal damage activity that is occurring at the city park there.I have contacted these listed state legislators and asked them to not approve funding for this initiative. I appreciate your continued help.Van Eldredge Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: David Garcia via Neighbors_nobhill-nm <neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> Date: 2/8/21  1:07 PM  (GMT-07:00) To: Neighbors Nob Hill <neighbors at nobhill-nm.com>, TheBoard <theboard at nobhill-nm.com> Subject: [Neighbors] Express your support for the Lead/Coal Smart Lights initiative! Hello Neighbors,Greetings from the NHNA. I am writing as part of our Lead Coal Action Alliance initiative. Over the last year this new initiative of the Quality of Life Committee has been working to gather constructive and achievable goals to assist with traffic calming through the neighborhoods transected by the Lead/Coal arterial. As most of you are probably aware, those of us that live between, near or on these streets have been plagued by excessive speed, aggressive drivers and a higher than normal level of bad accidents.As part of the initiative we have worked with Councilor Davis on becoming a pilot program for a new breed of intelligent “rest in red” traffic signals which are designed to turn red immediately if they sense that oncoming traffic is traveling at speeds over the posted limit. Pat has set aside some funds for this project which is great news but the engineering firm on the job is still in fact-finding mode developing the system and it is estimated to exceed our district’s available funds by 2-3x. We would like to ask everyone in the neighborhood to please email or call Senator Mimi Stewart, Representative Gail Chasey and Senator Antoinette Sedillo Lopez and ask them to support the Lead & Coal Safety Upgrades Capital Outlay Request, LCS Project ID 1275. Here are their contacts: Senator Antoinette Sedillo Lopez: a.sedillolopez at nmlegis.gov(505) 397-8847Senator Mimi Stewart: mimi.stewart at nmlegis.gov(505) 986-4733Representative Gail Chaseygail at gailchasey.com(505) 246-2221Here is the background info on the project: Lead & Coal Safety UpgradesCapital Outlay Request Amount: $250kTotal Project Cost: $350kFunding Secured: $100kState ICIP Project ID: 30957LCS Project ID: 1275Legislators (who you are requesting funding from): Senator Antoinette Sedillo Lopez, Representative Gail ChaseyProject Background (just a couple of sentences of background information on the project):  The University Heights and Nob Hill neighborhoods have long sought an answer to the speeding and accidents that occur on Lead & Coal. Councilor Davis has led the effort to install speed sensitive traffic signals, known as rest in red signals, that only turn green when the approaching vehicle is traveling at or below the speed limit. The project is currently in the study and design phase.Scope of Work (or the description of the project) : To design and install improvements to the corridor including rest in red signalsThanks so much for your support and for helping to keep Nob Hill the dynamic and one of a kind neighborhood that it is. David GarciaQuality of Life Committee Chair Vice President NHNA310.717.8507Sent from my iPhone