[Neighbors] Express your support for the Lead/Coal Smart Lights initiative!

Greg Weirs vgweirs at gmail.com
Tue Feb 9 18:53:19 MST 2021

Neighbors,

I believe that frequent enforcement is the best solution as well, and I
would welcome that. As a neighborhood association we have asked for that
for many years. However, our Albuquerque police force is undersized for a
city of its population by hundreds of officers, and while that is slowly
being addressed (limited by the annual graduation rate of the police
academy,) traffic speed enforcement will never be the highest priority - we
do have a high crime rate, including violent crime. That's partly why we
have the crime problems we do in our neighborhood - the police are deployed
to the neighborhoods where crime rates are higher than ours.

Signage could be improved and I'm all for that, but it has not made much
difference in the past.

Possibly the changing of the light in response to speeding would cause
drivers to run the light, but I wouldn't assume that the light that would
be affected would be that close - probably it would be at the next
intersection. Traffic engineers would have thought about that in the
design, I think.

For these reasons, I am in favor of the proposal.

Greg Weirs

On Mon, Feb 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM David Garcia via Neighbors_nobhill-nm <
neighbors_nobhill-nm at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

> Hello Neighbors,
>

> Greetings from the NHNA. I am writing as part of our Lead Coal Action
> Alliance initiative.
>

> Over the last year this new initiative of the Quality of Life Committee
> has been working to gather constructive and achievable goals to assist with
> traffic calming through the neighborhoods transected by the Lead/Coal
> arterial. As most of you are probably aware, those of us that live between,
> near or on these streets have been plagued by excessive speed, aggressive
> drivers and a higher than normal level of bad accidents.
>

> As part of the initiative we have worked with Councilor Davis on becoming
> a pilot program for a new breed of intelligent “rest in red” traffic
> signals which are designed to turn red immediately if they sense that
> oncoming traffic is traveling at speeds over the posted limit. Pat has set
> aside some funds for this project which is great news but the engineering
> firm on the job is still in fact-finding mode developing the system and it
> is estimated to exceed our district’s available funds by 2-3x.
>

> We would like to ask everyone in the neighborhood to please email or call
> Senator Mimi Stewart, Representative Gail Chasey and Senator Antoinette
> Sedillo Lopez and ask them to support the Lead & Coal Safety Upgrades
> Capital Outlay Request, LCS Project ID 1275.
>

> Here are their contacts:
>

> Senator Antoinette Sedillo Lopez:
>
> a.sedillolopez at nmlegis.gov
>
> (505) 397-8847
>

> Senator Mimi Stewart:
>
> mimi.stewart at nmlegis.gov
>
> (505) 986-4733
>

> Representative Gail Chasey
>
> gail at gailchasey.com
>
> (505) 246-2221
>

> Here is the background info on the project:
>

> Lead & Coal Safety Upgrades
>
> Capital Outlay Request Amount: $250k
>
> Total Project Cost: $350k
>
> Funding Secured: $100k
>
> State ICIP Project ID: 30957
>
> LCS Project ID: 1275
>
> Legislators (who you are requesting funding from): Senator Antoinette
> Sedillo Lopez, Representative Gail Chasey
>
> Project Background (just a couple of sentences of background information
> on the project):  The University Heights and Nob Hill neighborhoods have
> long sought an answer to the speeding and accidents that occur on Lead &
> Coal. Councilor Davis has led the effort to install speed sensitive traffic
> signals, known as rest in red signals, that only turn green when the
> approaching vehicle is traveling at or below the speed limit. The project
> is currently in the study and design phase.
>
> Scope of Work (or the description of the project) : To design and install
> improvements to the corridor including rest in red signals
>

> Thanks so much for your support and for helping to keep Nob Hill the
> dynamic and one of a kind neighborhood that it is.
>

> David Garcia
>
> Quality of Life Committee Chair
>
> Vice President NHNA

> [...]

Greg Weirs