[Neighbors] NM Redistricting - last chance to weigh in

Mary Henrie Smith maryhenrie at msn.com
Wed Oct 6 12:46:13 MDT 2021

Last chance to provide public comment on proposed maps that redraw district boundaries for the next 10 years: Congress, NM House of Representatives, NM Senate and NM Public Education Commission. Tomorrow and Friday, the state's Citizen Redistricting Committee holds its final public meetings at which it will receive public comment/testimony and accept any new maps submitted by NM residents for the CRC's consideration.

For the latest info: www.nmredistricting.org<http://www.nmredistricting.org>

            Albuquerque live and via Zoom
            Oct 7, 3 - 7 pm
            Indian Pueblo Cultural Center, Room Chaco 2

            Farmington live and via Zoom
            Oct 8, 3 -7 pm
            San Juan College, Henderson Fine Arts Building, Room 9008

            Gallup, satellite live and via Zoom
            Oct 8, 3- 7 pm
            University of New Mexico, Gallup Calvin Hall Auditorium, Room 248

At the CRC meeting on October 1, I spoke about my previously submitted testimony urging the designation of Nob Hill as a Community of Interest, thus keeping it intact in the new maps for the NM House of Representatives. I urged the CRC to reject NM House Map Concept D, which again splits Nob Hill between two districts. My original lengthy testimony was submitted online on August 13 - for an unexplained reason, all my mentions of "Nob Hill" are replaced by "* Hill." Justice Ed Chavez, CRC Chair, explained this oddity to the other CRC members, and acknowledged my testimony and assured me the CRC has and will consider my two cents.

As voters, we have an unprecedented opportunity to make our voices heard in redistricting. I urge you to review the current proposed map concepts, and to submit your own public testimony and/or maps, either online or at one of the last three CRC meetings (in person and via Zoom). I'm a voting nerd, but this chance to weigh in on redistricting is really exciting - I hope you will join me.

Mary H Smith
Nob Hill neighbor