[Neighbors] Were the RIR signals installed?

Ben Garland ben at bengarland.com
Fri Apr 7 15:27:04 MDT 2023

I saw a crew working on the traffic lights at Girard and Lead a couple days ago. Was this to install the RIR? If not, do we know when they will be installed? If so, did the city ever tell us exactly how the RIR will be programmed to work? There was some confusion about whether it's going to 1) Give a red light to vehicles going 39+ mph or 2) Only give a green light if approaching vehicles are doing 39 mph or less.

I also think we should continue to ask DMD to set the RIR to the actual speed limit of 30 mph and not 39 mph as they said at the meeting. I know they are concerned about maintaining the daily traffic volume, but in this corridor the speed limit has no bearing on the total volume whatsoever. The same amount of cars are going to go through Lead and Coal whether the speed limit is 20, 25, or 30 mph.

Long term it would be useful to advocate for a citywide ordinance of 20 mph speed limits on all road segments where the adjacent properties are more than 50% residential (or are residential facilities like parks, schools, churches, libraries, community centers, etc). There's no reason to have speed limits above 20 mph in residential areas, especially with the crazy drivers that we have here in ABQ and the greatly increased chance of fatalities to pedestrians and cyclists when vehicle speeds are above 20 mph.

Thanks!
Ben