[Neighbors] Mosquitoes - Standing Water & Free Minnows

Ciaran Lithgow ciaranlithgow at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 16:20:00 MDT 2023

Hello Neighbors!

The City's Environmental Health Department is offering *free mosquitofish* *for
anyone with a pond *to help control the spread of mosquitoes this year. You
can request them by calling 311 or submitting a ticket in the 311 app, or
you can find other vendors on their website
<https://www.cabq.gov/environmentalhealth/urban-biology/mosquitoes#autotoc-item-autotoc-5>
.

*Mosquitoes can reproduce in standing water as small as a bottle cap!* So
just a friendly reminder to make sure that we aren't inadvertently allowing
standing water to collect in our yards. Even with the light rain we've been
getting, empty pots for plants or buckets can easily capture water that we
don't notice. *It's a good idea to regularly check around our yards for
standing water. *

Mosquitoes are a very localized problem, so getting bit in your backyard
likely means the mosquitoes are coming from a very nearby source (probably
on your block).

Mosquitoes spread zika virus, west nile virus, and heartworms (which can be
deadly for dogs). Last week there were several reported cases of malaria
that originated in the US--as nearby as Texas.

Let's make sure we all stay healthy!

[image: image.png]
[image: image.png]

Happy 4th of July!