[Neighbors] Hello, Question from Member on Tulane

Joanna vinoyqueso2002 at yahoo.com
Sun Nov 5 09:38:09 MST 2023

 Mike, you are probably referring to a homeowner's association (HOA) not a neighborhood association (NA). HOAs generally collect dues NAs don't.

Per CABQ's website https://www.cabq.gov/office-of-neighborhood-coordination/news/the-difference-between-neighborhood-associations-homeowners-associations:

 Neighborhood Association is a voluntary organization of residents who work together to improve and maintain the quality of life in its neighborhood. Neighborhood Associations can form out of concern over a particular issue or as a means of enhancing a sense of community.
Membership is open to all property owners, residents, and businesses in the neighborhood, but participation is voluntary; boundaries are established by the association.There is no legal authority to enact or enforce maintenance or design requirements beyond those established by City and/or County Ordinances.
Homeowners Associations are formal legal entities created to maintain common areas and enforce private deed restrictions. Most condominium and townhouse developments and some newer single-family subdivisions have homeowners associations which are usually created when the development is built.
Membership is mandatory for all property owners within the boundaries of the development.Members are usually charged mandatory dues.Homeowners associations have the legal authority to enact and enforce maintenance and design standards in addition to those established by City or County ordinance.
You can call the CABQ Code Enforcement (505-924-3450) yourself and give them the details. No one is told who has called when they arrive to assess the situation. You can remain anonymous.
Joanna