[Neighbors] Hiway House Motel, Public Safety Concerns

Gary Eyster meyster1 at me.com
Tue Oct 31 17:06:14 MDT 2023

Dear Mayor Keller, Councilor Davis, and Commander Del Greco,

Our Association has deep concerns about the Hiway House Motel at 3200
Central Avenue SE.

-A 2019 gas explosion caused extensive damage to the Bryn Mawr side and back
of the building. Walls were boarded up but few repairs were made.

-A 2022 fire affected the same area. Currently, there is an uncovered burned
window and a hole in the roof visible from Bryn Mawr.

-Another fire occurred in September 2023.

The property is for sale. A travel trailer is parked in the lot. The doors
are boarded up but many windows are not which has led to broken windows and
what appear to be occasional squatters. Fencing has been erected on the
front and back of the property but the building is not secured on the Bryn
Mawr side and the alley. Rats have been reported.

We are concerned about environmental hazards, squatting, and a bigger fire
that could spread. We are asking you to address security of the property;
code enforcement, extra patrols, even possible city demolition. We would be
grateful to know of your progress to the extent possible so we can update
our community. Thank you for your commitment to our safety.

Kind regards,

Gary L. Eyster

President, Nob Hill Neighborhood Association

316 Amherst Dr NE

(505)991-1388

meyster1 at me.com <mailto:meyster1 at me.com>