[Neighbors] Silver Median Project, Silver Ave. SE and Solano Dr. SE

Gary Eyster meyster1 at me.com
Mon Jan 15 08:56:25 MST 2024

Hilleño friends. We just sent this. If you would like to get involved please
reply or reply to all. GLE

Sarah Hurteau

NM Conservation Director

Spatial Informatics Group-Natural Assets Laboratory

Dear Ms. Hurteau,

I am writing to express the enthusiastic support of the Nob Hill
Neighborhood Association for the Spatial Informatics Group-Natural Assets
Laboratory (SIG-NAL) application entitled “Silver Median Project” at Silver
Ave. SE and Solano Dr. SE in Albuquerque. Our board of directors adopted
this position by a vote of 8 for, none opposed.

We understand the project aims to demonstrate and amplify the viability of
green storm water infrastructure-supported street trees as a standard
practice for advancing the climate resiliency of Albuquerque's community
forest. The community driven participatory design will serve as a repeatable
model for future projects throughout the city, giving a defined process for
other community-led projects in the city right-of-way, and most importantly
provide much needed water to our street trees. The project team will lead
the community through a visioning process for this underutilized median that
is currently dirt and weeds, adding street trees and capturing thousands of
gallons of storm water runoff. The beneficial use of that runoff provides an
innovative solution to irrigating streetscapes.

As a project partner, we fully support this project as it advances our
organizational goals of enhancing the quality of life for Nob Hill neighbors
and the greater Albuquerque area. Advancing this project would support
several goals of our association, namely fostering community engagement and
restoring tree canopy. Partnering with you can help us realize these social
and environmental goals.

We are committed to supporting this project and will contribute toward
in-kind match by dedicating volunteer time as Neighborhood Stakeholders, as
our time allows. In this role, we will attend community meetings to engage
with planning and project partners, and review designs of the Silver Ave
median.

We appreciate the opportunity to voice our support for this project as it is
a critical demonstration project that has the potential to change the
trajectory of future streetscape development. We urge the State of New
Mexico, Energy, Minerals and Natural Resources Department, Forestry
Division, to fund this important work.

Kind regards,

Gary L. Eyster

President, Nob Hill Neighborhood Association

(505)991-1388

meyster1 at me.com <mailto:meyster1 at me.com>