[NMCCSC] Report on Ladera Trail maintenance in Jemez Mtns, Sun., Nov. 26

Sam Beard samgbeard at msn.com
Mon Nov 27 14:43:01 MST 2023

Hello Skiers,

On Sunday, Nov. 26, five Ski Club members removed fallen trees from the lower part of Ladera Trail on Los Griegos Mountain. We were walking in 6 to 8 inches of snow all day. The temperature was 22F when we started hiking at 1015 am.

Michael Arndt cut over a dozen down trees with his chain saw, and the other volunteers moved the cut sections from the trail. Sarah Stout cut aspen seedlings with long-handle loppers.

After lunch we realized that we still had to hike about one-half-mile uphill in the snow to get to Griegos Junction. We were at the location where Lower Road is near Elk Ridge Trail; therefore, we decided that the easiest route back to the highway was to hike down Elk Ridge Trail and go back on lower Ladera Trail to the parking lot. We found a few trees across Elk Ridge Trail as we hiked out.

Skiing on Los Griegos Mountain this winter will be limited, because Ladera and Elk Ridge Trails are not completely cleared.

The volunteers working on Sunday were Michael Arndt, Alan Shapiro, Sarah Stout, Greg Hartman, and Sam Beard.

Sam Beard, Trails Chair
N. M. Cross Country Ski Club