[NMCCSC] Class I and Class II tours at Coyote Call on VCNP in Jemez, Sunday, February 11

Sam Beard samgbeard at msn.com
Fri Feb 9 14:50:56 MST 2024

Hello Skiers,

Michael Arndt and I will lead an outing to the Coyote Call area on the VCNP in the Jemez Mountains on Sunday, Feb. 11. Michael will lead a Class II tour on the Coyote Call loop trail, and Sam will lead a Class I tour in the meadows near the highway (NM-4).

I have heard that the parking on the south side of the highway at the Coyote Call trailhead has not been plowed; therefore, we will be parking either on the plowed shoulder or in one of the plowed pullouts. We will drive through the area and then decide where we will park. Where we start skiing will depend on where we park. This area is located between the main gate to the VCNP and the Historical Sign farther east on the highway.

Class I Tour
Sam will lead an easy tour in the meadows near the highway. The total distance will be 2-3 miles, mostly on an old road that is parallel to the highway.

Class II Tour
Michael will lead a tour around the Coyote Call Loop, possibly with a short side trip. The distance will be 3 to 4 miles and the elevation change is about 400 feet.

Meet at 8 am on the west side of the Target parking lot SE of the intersection of Paseo del Norte and I-25N. Dress warmly and bring snacks, lunch, drinks, ski equipment, and MaxiGlide to prevent icing on the ski bottoms. Due to the steepness of parts of the Class II route, some skiers may want the ski up with skins. We will car pool.

We will arrive at the trailhead at 9:45 to 10:00. Skiers from Santa Fe or Los Alamos  should email me to let me know to expect them. Please email me if you need more directions to the trailhead area.

Email me if you have questions. samgbeard at msn.com<mailto:samgbeard at msn.com>

Sam Beard, Trails Chair
NM Cross Country Ski Club