[Rdhs_class1961] Karen Correction and all-year reunion

Robert A. Fisher Bob at rafisher.com
Thu Sep 7 15:43:42 MDT 2017

To send messages, comments, or announcements to Bob Fisher, please use bob at rafisher.com

≈≈≈≈ANNOUNCEMENT #1 Correction from Karen Anderson Coghlan ≈≈≈≈

> Hi all, Karen Coghlan here again.
>
> Rich Winant asked me to make a slight correction to the letter sent out
> yesterday. He would like to clarify that he served in the military during
> the Vietnam War, but was not in the war itself. Sorry I got that wrong,
> Rich!

≈≈≈≈ANNOUNCEMENT #2 Upcoming Multi-class Winter Reunion in Florida ≈≈≈≈

Note from Bob Fisher:   Although the following might be unclear without deep reading, let me summarize here:  The classes of approx 1963 and 1964  hold an annual informal reunion every winter in Florida.  Although Florida may permanently disappear in the next week or so, they are planning their March 2-3 2018 event at this time.  They routinely invite all classes, which is where we (Class of 1961) can partake.  Last year I heard reports that 3 of our 1961 classmates participated, and from all sources, the three had a good time.  These activities are managed by Blaine Pool (e-mail address below) and Eddie Neubert (baby brother of our Gay Neubert)  (e-mail address also shown below),  Now after reading my Readers’ Digest version, you can slog through the stuff below!

> Begin forwarded message:
>
> From: Blaine Pool <blainepool at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Fw: Reunion
> Date: September 1, 2017 at 1:18:04 PM MDT
> To: "Robert A. Fisher" <bob at rafisher.com>
> Cc: Edward Neubert <4runner4him at gmail.com>
>
> On Tue, Aug 29, 2017 at 11:55, Edward Neubert
> <4runner4him at gmail.com> wrote:
To all River Dell Teen-iors,

OK, here we go . . . . getting out info on our upcoming March 2-3 Reunion early so you can make preparations and have a pretty good idea about costs.  If necessary, put $5 bucks in a jar from now until the Reunion and you won't feel a thing! Virtually painless.

The destination is Cape Canaveral, The Kennedy Space Center.  This will be so great because of all the history we experienced during the space race years.  Remember the shock of the Sputnik success had on all of us. Then there was John Glenn's first orbit.   Then came John Kennedy's challenge to land on the moon before the end of the decade, culminating in the moon landing in 1969, so there will be plenty of memories to experience first hand. Many of you were at the Wally Sherra parade in Oradell, one of our first astronauts and an American hero. We all know where we were when we saw that moon landing and heard those famous words: "One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind" WOW!  So come and enjoy a step back to the past and view the future of space flight.  Don't miss this one!

First, the motel.  After extensive searching there was only one motel that qualified.  On "Choice Hotels" it is rated "Excellent" 4 1/2 stars!  All accommodations are very high at this time of year, probably average around $200 a night.  Contributing to these prices are the many who stay over before getting on the many cruise ships that leave out of Cape Canaveral.  This motel, which is very nice normally goes for $169 a night, our price is $119 plus tax. Absolutely the best bang for the buck I could find.  The motel had to have a free hot breakfast (many do not, but charge around $13ea), we needed a meeting room for two evenings at no charge (one motel wanted $150 extra!) and it had to be fairly close to the Cape. All of these criteria are met in this very nice property.  I have reserved 15 rooms. You call and reserve yourself.  PLEASE EMAIL ME WHEN YOU RESERVE in the event that I have to set aside more rooms should participation increase significantly. Here's the website to check out.  Inform them you are with the River Dell Reunion.
www.choicehotels.com/florida/merritt-island/econo-lodge-hotels/fl627
(321) 452-7711

PLEASE EMAIL ME WHETHER YOU ARE STAYING AT THE MOTEL OR NOT!
I really need a good number so I can reserve enough space for the restaurants!

Our Saturday, of course, will be our day at the Kennedy Space Center right after breakfast.  Many say this is more exciting than Disney.  They have included many new experience over the years, so if you've been there before expect a lot of new stuff. To check out the Space Center website: www.kennedyspacecenter.com, click the "Start Your Journey"  Cost for a senior is $46, worth every penny!  We will spend the entire day there including our lunch.  For lunch, there are several nice restaurants.  We can all eat at one or just go where we want and re-group afterward at a specified time and location.
Check out restaurants/prices at: www.kennedyspacecenter.com/info/dining

For those who may come early or stay later to make it a mini-vacation, consider the Exploration Tower.  Go to: www.explorationtower.com

Now for the restaurants. They were selected for convenience, group seating, atmosphere and price range.

For Friday evening we will be gathering at "The Island Waterfront Bar and Grill"
www.facebook.com/The-Island-Waterfront-Bar-Grill-305937486094130/
Here you will find the menu and location for GPS.  It is only a short distance from the motel and they will set us up as a group. Some can car-pool from the motel, if your coming in late, be there around 5:30!

Saturday evening we will eat at Pelicans Restaurant at the Cocoa Beach Pier
www.cocoabeachpier.com then select "Where to Eat and Drink" then select "Pelican's  Bar and Grill" or go direct: for menue and location.
www.cocoabeachpier.com/dining/pelicans-bar-grill
Use your imagination and picture yourself down at the Jersey Shore!  Again they will set aside seating for our group.

On both Friday and Saturday evenings we will gather in our meeting room for fellowship time.  We always encourage everyone to bring along memorabilia, yearbooks, pictures,  etc to share.

We finally enjoy our Sunday breakfast together and bid ado for another year.

Any questions, email me at: 4runner4him at gmail.com

This is going to be good!
Eddie

≈≈≈≈ANNOUNCEMENT #3 Another version of the Directory is attached ≈≈≈≈

If you think Directory is coming too frequently, just don’t print this one out.  For those who are interested, there have been a lot of changes to the directory.  So that you can figure out which of the directories you have is the most current, each directory completion date is printed on the top of each page.

≈≈≈≈ANNOUNCEMENT #4 Still please help us find our missing and help us by carefully checking your directory entry ≈≈≈≈

Of course, all of you should also e-mail me should any of your contact information changes.

       Class of 1961

MISSING LIST Please help us find them

Ahlin, Linda Ruth

 Burgess, Bonnie Lee

Campbell, Bruce

Culbert, Sharon Lee

Gravina, Isabel Meridith

Housman, Stephen P.

Larkin, James P., Jr.

Newman, Harold

Reichel, Georgia Lou

≈≈≈≈To be removed from Bob Fisher’s e-mailing list ≈≈≈≈
You are being sent this announcement e-mail because you asked to be on my (Bob Fisher's) e-mailing list for news relevant for the River Dell High School Class of 1961.  To stop receiving these e-mails, just e-mail bob at rafisher.com <mailto:bob at rafisher.com>  and enter the word "Remove" in the subject line.