[Tdstf] WestConnect Transmission Developer Selection Process - Follow Up on Discussion with ICF

Roseman, Elliot Elliot.Roseman at icf.com
Wed Nov 30 21:27:30 MST 2016

Dear Friends at WestConnect,

Thank you for requesting and taking the time to get together with my ICF colleagues (Maria,  Ken and Harjeet) and me last week, just before Thanksgiving, to discuss key issues relating to WestConnect's FERC Order 1000 process and transmission solicitations.  It was a robust discussion in the three areas WestConnect had identified in advance:

1)      The selection of the independent evaluator (IE), and the optimal number of such teams (we advised that the IE should have skills that mirror all the factors they would be asked to evaluate, and agreed that it would be desirable to have several IEs to deal with potential conflicts);
2)      The desirability of in-person presentations after bids have been submitted (ICF has found such meetings very helpful in selecting the best development team, though not critical; and
3)      The overall approach to the evaluation and scoring of potential transmission bids to WestConnect, including the weight that should be given to price versus non-price factors (pricing should receive considerable weight at this stage), and the two-stage qualitative and quantitative process the WestConnect is considering (while not standard, this could help the IE to identify key differentiators and potential fatal flaws before the final selection).

In discussing these matters with you, we drew upon recent ICF experience in all these areas, in both transmission and generation, while recognizing that WestConnect needs an approach informed by best practices, and tailored to your situation.  We look forward to continuing our dialogue with WestConnect on these and other key factors in the solicitation process.

Thank you for your consideration of ICF to support WestConnect as its IE, at the appropriate time.

Best regards,

Elliot

Elliot Roseman
Vice President, ICF