[LWVNM Action] LWVUS Convention adopts LWVNM position on Transfer of Public Lands

Richard Mason dickmasonnm at gmail.com
Sun Jun 28 12:46:11 MDT 2020

Congratulations to Barbara Calef, Judy Williams and Chris Furlanetto amd ny
others who worked on this study.

The LWVUS Convention was held the weekend of June 26-27 and we scored a
major victory! Our Transfer of Federal Public Lands position was adopted by
concurrence. As a concurrence, we needed a two-thirds vote, but after
debate on Friday we weren’t sure it would pass. Many delegates hadn’t read
the position or didn’t understand it and its rationale. But on Saturday a
delegate from Florida moved to allow more debate. We had some good speakers
in favor. In addition, we sent a new message to the LWVUS leaders list
stating the position and why it is important. Finally, Judy Williams pasted
the position itself into the Q&A so the delegates could see it.

Now the LWVNM position on the Transfer of Federal Public lands is a
national position!  Delegates from the Western states were supportive,
particularly those from Utah, Montana and Nevada.
You can get more details about the caucus and the position, and watch the
video, on our Transfer of Federal Public Lands
<https://www.lwvnm.org/studies/2017/publiclands/> page.