[LWVNM Action] Legislative Tracking updated

Rosa I Morales iselamar2 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 24 09:10:14 MST 2022

Hi Rick,

Thanks for responding to my SS Bill question.

Last year I attended the report session given by the NM Voices and their
social security bill analysis was done based on what now can be considered
old data.

This year NM and other states will be benefiting from a large amount of
federal funds that make last year’s financial reports on NM outlook
obsolete.

The NM Taxation & Revenue Department regularly reviews proposed legislation
and creates Fiscal Impact Reports. The FIRs look at the fiscal, legal, tax,
policy and administrative impacts. Their data is used by the Governor and
other groups to justify/deny their support for bills. Have the League
 checked their report on this bill?

Have the League checked any more current fiscal analysis of the bill?

Does the League has the capabilities to review multiple fiscal analysis
before supporting bills, or they regularly just base their recommendation
on the data presented in one report?

What other more current fiscal reports align with the League’s 2022
position on this bill?

Given the speed of funding allocations to the states  generated by the
pandemia and a new administration in the White House, last year’s data is
considered old data.

Best,

On Sun, Jan 23, 2022 at 1:22 PM Richard Mason <polirich at aol.com> wrote:

> The League opposes the Social Security exemption because according to a
> study by NM Voices for Children 85 % of the benefit would go to high income
> seniors and would result in a considerable loss of revenue that would
> jeopardize future funding . Last year the League supported the increase in
> the Low Income Tax Credit that will directly help low income seniors.
>
> The League position calls for measures that will make our tax system more
> progressive and will generate adequate funds for essential programs.
>
> Dick Mason
> Chair of the LWVNM Action Committee

*Rosa I. Morales, MSW*

*“Let’s stay fully committed to justice, equity, diversity, and inclusion
in principle, and more important, in practice.”  -Anonymous *