[NMCycling] Yellow line elucidations

M. John Jordan via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sat May 17 13:37:46 MDT 2014

NM Bike Racers,

Putting on my Official's hat, I have to say that I was grateful to see, read, think over, and ultimately agree with the definitive interpretation from the USAC Official's blog.  It will allow me to adjudicate yellow line infractions in a meaningful and non-arbitrary manner.

Putting on my NMBRA hat, I completely agree with John V.'s opinion that we, as members of the racing community, have a responsibility to at least try to ensure that our fellow racers are not put in danger due to a limited understanding or a willful disobeying of a rule of racing that is intended to do just that, take responsibility for ensuring a safe race.

And thirdly, putting on my simply human hat, I think part of the endangerment that should be acknowleddged is to the oncoming motorist who very likely might rather run off the side of the road into unknown danger rather than hit a bicyclist.  I do believe that most folks (but definitely not all!) would probably do just that, move to endanger themselves rather than take out another human who is acting foolishly or recklessly.  Forcing someone in a 2 ton vehicle to have to make that kind of choice, usually while traveling somewhere north of 40 mph, is not something that can be called intelligent nor insightful, especially when the circumstance could have been avoided by the racer simply deflecting the angle of their handlebars by a few degrees.

We have lost enough racers and cyclists in our small community, some when racing, like Ben Hall, some when training, like Jesse Hawkins and Paula Higgins, some from the disastrous outcomes of unforeseen and unavoidable circumstances like Bill McLain.  Wanting to not lose any more means that I will *always* err on the side of doing whatever I can and have the authority to do at a race that I am officiating to ensure that safety overrides expediency while out on the race course.  I think having an interpretation for the yellow line rule (and the forthcoming clarification of same) does just that, gives our on-course racers the maximum allowable expediency while ensuring, as much as possible, that the minimum allowable safety is enforced.

With respect,

John Jordan, NMBRA President, USAC Official, NM bike racing community member

M. John Jordan (mjohnjordan at yahoo.com)