[NMCycling] Taos Cycling Weekend October 11-12

Michael McCalla via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Oct 1 12:28:02 MDT 2014

Hi Everybody,
You're invited to a group ride to Taos(and back if you like!).  Join us for a cool ride on the High Road to Taos!  This is a very scenic(and hilly) ride along the eastern slopes and foothills of the Sangre De Cristos, elevations range from 5,900 to 8,500'.

I do have a plea for a driver on Saturday!  Let's do a happy hour dinner shortly after we arrive in Taos (4 ish) at Eske's Brewpub, if you have a way better place to go, speak now or forever hold your peace!
The idea is to ride up as a group Saturday, and then to do a ride(or not) of your choosing on Sunday.  I really hope everybody will be able to join for dinner!  I would pack LIGHT, ideally with a backpack, for Saturday night so that you can use you bike for transportation in Taos if necessary.  Alternatively, you can plan to walk with your bike/bag a short distance from the bag drop-off(TBD, but close to the Plaza).
We REALLY need a driver to drive up to Taos with bags.  You can borrow my Windstar minivan with a 4 bike rack if necessary.  The driver would need to pick up bags at Dulce at 9:30 and drop them off at Taos by 2:30-3 pm. Drop off would be near the Taos Plaza, I can call the gearing up shop to see if they would let us drop off bags there for a small fee(or free!), or we could drop them off at a hotel that somebody is staying at.  The driver would NOT need to carry anything back to Santa Fe, or even stay in Taos Saturday night, as I will be able to take bags and a rider or two on Sunday afternoon.  .  You could ride south on the high road route and meet the group going north if you would like to ride, but want to keep it shorter.  PLEASE let me know if you might be interested, we can get you some gas money too!
Here's a preliminary schedule:
Saturday:   Meet at Dulce for an 80 mile ride from Santa Fe to Taos via the high road.
9:30 Early start for riders that want more time to get up the hill to Truchas10:00 Later start for those that want to hurry up the big hill!   2:30-4:00:  Check into hotels, shower?4:00-7:00: Early drinks/dinner at Eske's Brewpub
Sunday:  On your own schedule, pick one of the following options:
1.  Ride back to Taos on the high road!2.  Ride the South Enchanted loop(103 miles, the route for Taos Gran Fondo and my favorite road loop in northern NM), and get a ride back to Santa Fe.3.  Ride South Boundary on the mountain bike4.  Just get a ride back home!
Call me @ (406) 381-2690 with any questions.
Mike