[NMCycling] Glorieta CX Courses

Hawke Morgan via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Oct 12 21:27:21 MDT 2014

Cyclocross interested bike-racers,

I was asked the other day about the Glorieta courses.  I am not organizing the Glorieta races this year, but I spoke with David Saenz  (the race director) Friday about the cyclocross courses next weekend.

Saturday will be in the neighborhood of the tennis courts where we raced last year, but with less running and some parts, such as the stairs, taken out as they are a bit narrow to fit into USAC official standards.  Grass is variable, some thin and fast and some deeper and slower.  They are planning to use the tunnel, which is cool, and I would expect a sandpit or two going through the volleyball courts.  This area is the next grassy area beyond where the Exterra was set up.

Sunday will be in the prayer garden area, which is a lovely, really cool terraced grass park planted with aspens.  (I proposed to my wife there BTW. ;)  There are gravel and paved roads going around the garden which will make for some faster bits.  There is a wedding there on Saturday, so he is going to be setting up tape into the night to get us this venue for Sunday.  David is trying to bring both courses into USAC/UCI standards with the thought of having a UCI race on the same courses one of these days.  Also the Glorieta area for both courses will likely have a little more elevation change than some of the flatter park courses, maybe more like Cibola with a decent little climb each lap.

He is also planning some other activities on some of the facilities there in Glorieta during the race.  I think drift trikes were mentioned.

Parmenides Orpinel is planning to be out on Friday and Saturday evening to fine tune the circuits from a racer's point of view.

Anyways, it should be really cool and I hope to see you out there.

4214 Mesa Grande Pl SE
Albuquerque, NM 87108
(505) 259-6885
hm at ftml.net