[NMCycling] Where were the (123) ladies at carlsbad?!?!

Olga Sanchez via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Apr 21 13:18:43 MDT 2015

I have a different take on this race.  It was disorganized, no corner marshals, a crucial turn sign was blown away.  After the Cat. 123 ladies broke away at about mile 30 into the race.  There was no follow car on Hwys 180 and 285 for the Cat. 4 ladies.  The shoulder was littered with huge chunks of shredded truck/car tires, rubber, steel and other junk consistent the length of course. The shoulder was not a usable race course.  At registration I was told that our race was going have back up on these highways so we could race on the roadway.  Well that didn’t happen!  A four lane highway with 16 wheelers speeding by us at 75 mph.  My husband saw safety issues, the Cat. 4 ladies were abandoned in a dangerous situation!  My husband had to stand in for us as follow car so at least we had a safety margin.

Olga Sanchez