[NMCycling] 2nd Annual Valles Caldera PyroClassic Mtn Bike Race

FRANK REEVES via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Jun 3 07:10:22 MDT 2015

Greetings all Mtn Bike Riders.  The Pajarito Mtn Bike patrol will once again be staging the Valles Caldera PyroClassic XC Mtn Bike  Race again this summer at the Valles Caldera National Preserve (VCNP).     Our planning process has gotten off to somewhat of a slow start this spring as we have been waiting for the dust to settle on the VCNP  transfer to the National Park Service, which has kept everything in limbo for awhile.  We now have permission from all involved parties to stage the race  and are moving forward.  We are on the 2015 New Mexico Off Road Series schedule for Sunday, August 2nd.  We think the race is an important event for our area and will help to reinforce to the Park Service that Mtn biking is a popular activity here and compatible with other forms of recreation on the Preserve and federal lands in general.  Once again we will have 3 loops for Pro/Cat1/SS, Cat2 and Cat 3 with the stunning backdrop of the Valles Caldera .   We have opted to run registration through USAC this year and early registration is now open (http://www.usacycling.org/events/state_search.php?state=NM ).   We do not have race routes (same as last year) posted yet  but will have this and other details posted soon.

Please be aware that registration fees include a VCNP activity fee but do not include the VCNP/National Park Service entrance fee of $20/carload.  This entrance fee is good for 7 days so will cover pre race practice runs as well.  National Park and Federal Lands passes accepted.  We hope to once again offer overnight camping at the staging area but details have not been worked out yet.  Those that camped last year found the VCNP a truly magical place after the sun went down.Come out and join the fun!

For more information contact Frank Reeves (rockynm at msn.com) or Bart Daly (bdaly77 at msn.com)