[NMCycling] Stolen bike question

mike via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue May 19 21:32:17 MDT 2015

In the interest of lessons learned - not infrequently, we see posts about stolen bikes. It frickin’ sucks and bike thieves should be treated like horse thieves of old.

But in the interest of having this happen less often, what are the circumstances of the theft? A bike on the roof rack or bumper rack while at work? What part of town? Car in a parking structure, work lot, street? Factory lock or cable enhanced? Bike inside car? Bike locked at a bike rack? Lost from home while at work? Leaned at the market with a casual lock? Forgot and left the garage door up?

Mostly the bikes posted on the list are not ‘grocery store’ bikes, so I assume there’s a little more than casual attention to securing.

Help us help us.

What are the lessons learned? What should we not do next time? Or, what should we do better next time?

Thanks,
Mike Lucero