[NMCycling] Tues CX

hawke morgan via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Sep 26 21:17:14 MDT 2015

9-29 6PM Tuesday evening CX practice "race." Free.

Capulin Info: Capulin Picnic Area is a little over a mile past the Sandia Peak Ski area heading up on NM 536 heading up towards Sandia Peak. Take I-40 east from Albuquerque to the Tijeras exit, the road will "Y" right off the exit. Go left, which will come to a stoplight and become NM14 north. The speed limit around the stoplight is 30mph and it is a popular radar trap area. Continue on north 14 about 5.5mi to NM536 (the crest road). Go left and up maybe another 6mi to the course. Course is old school, hilly, challenging. I suggest an 11-28 to 11-32 cassette with a 34 chainring. I wouldn't bring your fancy carbon wheels. You could bring a MTB but there will be quite a bit of running, and it will not be rideable on a MTB. We will go down a cool paved switchback descent and up an XC ski trail, which is pretty steep in spots. Then there will be a little pavement and a short singletrack downhill leading into the second XC ski trail section. We will do some zigzags on the ungroomed grass on the sledding area. Grass is not mowed, weedy, kind of sparse with dirt in between.  It is thigh deep in spots. We will mush it down after a few laps. Field and XC ski trails will be mowed for the race NMCX race on 11-8, but the forest service will not let me mow now. Lap will be about 10mins. Fast guys can do 4 laps. Course will be marked with cones, tape and pinflags. There will be a NMCX race on pretty much this course on 11-8.  NMCX course will have more (mowed) grass and some cats will avoid the singletrack section.

Thanks,
yourstruly at operamail.com