[NMCycling] Mari Holden trivia

Clay Moseley via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Jul 19 15:53:01 MDT 2016

John Frey once held the national record at around 52:00 early in his career
with RGRT.  I remember when it was still above the 50:00 mark around 1987
or so, then came the "fast years" from 1988 to recent.  I think Kent was
the first one to go sub-50 with his Ten-Speed Drive Guercotti, and within a
year he got that down to 48:44 or so, when Frey did his thing in 1990
(47:35?).  On that same day, Kent also went 47:40-something.  I only recall
one other person going sub-48 on the Moriarty course, and that was Colby
Pearce with his high-dollar Lotus and Superman position.  In recent years,
it seems that the 50:00 minute barrier has become harder to break.

All that being said, I think the Brits were the first ones to make the
25-mile time trial a famous distance that was focused on for speed
records.  Our times compare closely with theirs, but it wasn't until
Boardman came along that the 47-minute barrier was broken.  Then there was
a string of them as well.

Anyway, back to your original question, Mari Holden's time is pretty
killer.  Many top-level (Pro/Cat-1) men can't time trial that fast on an
equitable course with the same conditions.  That time will stand for a
while.