[NMCycling] Mari Holden trivia

David Porter via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Jul 20 14:55:50 MDT 2016

..well my understanding is... that air flow is laminar until about 60MPH
at which point it gets ugly. This from the folks at the old Galles wind
tunnel. After the sand paint, we switched to the 3M tape that was being
used on the hulls of the America Cup sail boats... very unobtrusive and
the UCI inspectors never mentioned any thing about it.. Looked like a
crappy paint job.. The bike frame is pretty insignificant, the wheels
are the culprit..we all know this. Of course the rider remains the sack
of potatoes that creates the most drag..despite "laminar" flow around
the human. So.. the modern materials are likely the key to reducing drag
these days.. IMO

On 7/20/2016 1:36 PM, Cliff Loucks via Bike-racers wrote:
> Unless you’re interested in aerodynamics, pay no attention to the man
> with the keyboard behind the curtain…  But Kansas or not, aerodynamics
> are important in bicycle racing.
>
> 60 grit sandpaper:
>
> Craig Denman, did you mean ‘hope of speed’ rather then 'hype of speed’?
>
> The only thing I’d question here is the size of the grit to use.  60
> is fairly coarse but maybe not coarse enough.
>
> In aerodynamics, there’s laminar flow (smooth) and turbulent flow
> (obviously not smooth). Laminar flow rarely happens - in cycling or
> otherwise.  The only time I can think of in the world of cycling is
> the wing design on the human powered gossamer condor and gossamer
> albatross - designed to try to maintain laminar flow.  Laminar flow
> creates much less drag than turbulent flow.  But, the non-intuitive
> thing here is that if flow around an object (like a frame tube) is
> going to go turbulent (which it will), then the sooner it does (as it
> flows around the tube) the less drag it has.  This is exactly why golf
> balls have dimples.  They fly further and straighter than the early
> versions without the dimples.
>
> grit on the bottom of his shoes too?  Probably to aid slowing the bike
> down to a stop since his brakes most likely failed after the one time
> he used them in the ride (the turn-around).  Just kidding John.
>
> Does this mean a roadie should trim the front and shave only the hair
> on the back of on his arms and legs?  Only if it’s a coasting race.  I
> used to win criterium, now I excel at coasting.  Come on Paul, meet
> you at the top of Rio Bravo!
>
> Confused?  Good.  Life gets slow without it.  Paul’s life is getting
> faster and faster.  HA!
>
> —-Cliff
>

> _/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
> If brains was lard, Jethro couldn't grease a pan.
>             - Jed Clampett
>
> Cliff Loucks
> Albuquerque, New Mexico
> at work: 505-844-9098
> at play: 505-604-1254
>

>> On Jul 20, 2016, at 8:28 AM, paul via Bike-racers
>> <bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com <mailto:bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com>>
>> wrote:
>>
>> ...and the alibaba face mask, gigantic spoke protector (disk wheel
>> precursor), Schwinn Ashtabula forks, 12 spokes(?), ...
>>
>> On 07/19/2016 05:26 PM, Craig M. Doolittle via Bike-racers wrote:
>>> And on the bottom of his shoes!

Dave Porter Porter Custom Bicycles 2909 Arno St. NE Albuquerque, NM
87107 505-352-1378 Go HERE: my world www.porterbikes.com/