[NMCycling] The great battle of '86

paul via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Jun 21 21:27:37 MDT 2016

This is a fascinating account of the 1986 TdF battle between Hinault and
LeMond -
http://velonews.competitor.com/2016/06/feature/the-greatest-tour-de-france-ever_410548

As a side-note, TdF news was still hard to come by in that era, being
limited to the back of sports page. I was too cheap to buy my own paper
and would schlep over to  J J Moped (now Kelly's Brew Pub) to get the
news. Wow, LeMond is ahead but the next day Hinault takes a minute-or-so
lead but there's still 3 mountain stages left... Hard to believe
newsprint can be that exciting. (Many of you have probably read about
such anachronisms on the Interwebs.)