[NMCycling] The punishment pass and close calls

Larry Coons via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Oct 26 16:01:20 MDT 2016

Great points. I watch team cyclists I know and rec cyclists alike blow through the stop sign at Montgomery and Glenwood Hills without ever touching the brakes. If you partake in that risk please know that I see cars also flying through that intersection also without touching their brakes. I see it from my house every day. Been meaning to get that out there , now''s a good time.  Larry

-------- Original message --------From: New Mexico Sports Online via Bike-racers <bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com> Date: 10/26/16  10:04 AM  (GMT-07:00) To: 'Doug' <dstiebl at comcast.net> Cc: bike-racers at swcp.com Subject: Re: [NMCycling] The punishment pass and close calls
Ya, there are some crazys out there and always will be. We even have been shot at. And with txting the close calls happen even more.  I do understand why some drivers hate cyclist so much…. For all the stop signs and lights we blow through.  I ride on Tramway almost every weekend and watch many cyclists, novice and team riders run many lights. I have seen drivers throw their hands in the air as the cyclist blow right through. Many times you can tell the rider is trying to get in their AT workout and on record pace and don’t want to stop.  It looks so bad as 20 cars are waiting at the light and the cyclist just keeps on rolling.  The other maneuver is the, “light turns red and you take a quick right, cross the street, take a left then another right to keep on going. Some hide it better than others (you have to go up the street a little further) The other spot is Constitution an Chelwood as many riders scream through there as cars are approaching as they know the car has to stop.  As we all know it only takes a few cyclist riding poorly and we all get the bad wrap.  AND YES, I have run a few stop signs in my past…. I always felt a little guilty…. Now I try to ride so cars don’t have a reason to hate me.  I’m all for the Close Call Database as long as we are rider better and obeying all the laws ourselves.  J  From: Bike-racers [mailto:bike-racers-bounces at mailman.swcp.com] On Behalf Of Doug via Bike-racers