[NMCycling] More track help needed

David Porter via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Aug 3 08:51:19 MDT 2017

Riders, last week I urged you to write directly to the President to have
Congress issue NM an exemption to the Sports protection Act that was
overlooked, due to the NM's law that was so new at the time.

Here is a link to our Washington delegation:
https://www.govtrack.us/congress/members/NM

Here is a boiler plate letter you can use to forward your wishes to
allow the Velodrome to proceed .

  Dear Legislator.

  Twenty six years ago the NM Legislature approved pari-mutuel wagering
on Keirin style velodrome racing. Several of your colleagues were in
that group of

law makers and are well aware of the passage of NM 60-D. This law is
grandfathered within the Indian Gaming Compacts.

  Subsequently, the US Congress passed the Professional and Amateur
Sports Protection Act. The passage of NM 60-D was unrealized by that
Bill's sponsors at the time and as such was not given

exemption deference. The Honorable Sen. Pete Domenici gave a Colloquy to
the sponsors of the PASPA legislation. S17435  In that discussion the
sponsors and National Sports associations all agreed that since

Keirin was created as a "game" and not a pure sporting event that it
should be grandfathered and not subject to the tenets of PASPA.

I am writing to you and your colleagues to urge you to remedy this
oversight and allow the great State of NM to be the first in the United
States to provide this exciting event that creates 100's of jobs, tax
revenues and a multi-purpose sports facility.

Further information is available through the Chairman of the NM Bicycle
Racing Commission: F. Eberle 6739 Academy NE Albuquerque, NM 87109

or the NMBRC Executive Secretary: D. Porter 2909 Arno NE, Albuquerque,
NM 87107  frogeye at porterscustom.com

Sincerely,

--So, Copy and paste.. Pick a district representative, put your name or
not.. This won't get done without your support. To my detractors...
Keirin events are similar to the occasional horse races. There is small
number of events that can be permitted each year leaving the track
available for traditional uses. I'm available to answer any of your
concerns. DP