[NMCycling] Oso & Tree Spring Vandalism - REWARD

Marc Basiliere via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Jun 25 14:39:04 MDT 2017

All,

Could everyone please keep an eye out for whoever it is that's removed
dozens -if not hundreds- of rocks from Oso Corridor and Tree Spring
trails since the beginning of this season?   I'm confident that it's not
USFS work as they've just been leaving holes in the trail.  And there
are far too many, far too conveniently-placed to be bears looking for
grubs.  There's been a fresh round of sanitizing within the past two
weeks, so it's an ongoing issue.

I'm not sure if it's an effort to bring the trails down to their skill
level or to improve their Strava standings, but either way the time and
effort that went to degrading the trail while depriving the rest of us
of long-standing challenges would have probably have been better spent
on training.  The trails in the Sandias are challenging and technical
and ought to be appreciated as such.  They're also heavily-traveled by
hikers and equestrians and we, as the cycling community, do not need to
see speeds and conflict increase for speed's sake (let alone an unearned
win in an imaginary race).

Rock removal and corner-cutting is annoying in the Foothills and lame in
Otero- but really disappointing and unacceptable (to say nothing of
illegal) in the Sandias.  And it needs to stop.  Seriously- I'm willing
to give $500 to whoever turns the culprit(s) in to the Sandia Ranger
District if it results in a fine.  Or maybe, if you know who's at fault,
you just pull them aside and tell them to cut it out.  Thanks,

Marc