[NMCycling] URGENT!! Official shortage in New Mexico

Shane Cunico via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Mon Mar 6 12:55:36 MST 2017

NM Racers,

Just a suggestion to all the teams/clubs in NM.

Though we have been around for 32 years, ZiaVelo Cycling is a small club, with an even smaller budget.  Throughout the year we generally build our membership up to about 60 cyclists.

These individuals are about an even split of 50/50 racers and recreational cyclists.  We realized several years ago that if we were to continue putting on events such as the Trifecta, we were going to have to provide the majority of our officials from the Las Cruces/El Paso area.  (HUGE thanks to those from outside the area that have and continue to support the event!!!).

We make a serious effort each year to get some of our members licensed as officials and try to get more in line every year.  We have 6+ in the organization now.  If every club/team in the state could come up with 10% of their membership as officials and commit to working, at a minimum, a single local race, this would go a long way towards resolving the issue and, at the same time, give every official that also loves to race the chance to do so as well.  An additional benefit is that our local club members traditionally work this event and waive or donate their officials fee back to the club (though it is certainly not required).  This saves us $$ on the event and allows us to continue promoting the event.

Not an axe to grind, just a suggestion.

2 cents.

Shane

Director ZVC