[NMCycling] Help with Otero canyon

Craig M. Doolittle via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Fri May 5 21:19:37 MDT 2017

Hello All, sorry for the stupid question, coming from a non-mountain biker.

I have late 20s visitors in town that want to rent mountain bikes and ride Otero Canyon (they saw it on internet).  He is "moderately advanced" but not a racer, she is "just moderate".  Is the trail still open, part way, all the way, fully closed?  I remember the controversy from a few years back.

Thanks for the input.  Also, any advice where else to ride (she wants to avoid cactus, so maybe backside of Sandias) would be welcome.  They only have Sunday to ride.

Craig