[NMCycling] Bear sighting near Oak Flat PG

mike via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Jul 21 16:12:13 MDT 2018

Just a heads up, I was lucky enough to see a gorgeous cinnamon bear just west of the Oak Flat parking area (see attached map). No big encounter, just a sighting from a safe distance. I stopped to take a pic and it shambled off before I could get a shot.
It was about 11 am. And it seemed odd, to me, that wildlife was still out and about at that hour.
I was uphill and downwind, FWIW.
Not trying to alarm anyone, but just be ‘bear aware’ as the sign at the Ranger station says. I would think a group would make enough noise to have it wander away, but I was solo.
I would avoid leaving honey residue on your car doors.
mike lucero
Yellow oval is area of sighting. Red line is my track.