[NMCycling] New (to me) MTB riding area

hawke morgan via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sun Jun 24 10:35:36 MDT 2018

Bike Racers:

On a positive note, I found a new MTB riding area that's not closed and
has some sustained climbing. Apparently the city of Los Lunas bought
the whole Mountain that sits southwest of the intersection of I-25 and
Highway 6 and it is now City of Los Lunas Open Space.  I just rode a
short loop going to the top of the hill and down. A little of it was
unrideable because it was too rocky or to sandy but some of it was
really cool. A lot of the trails seem to be four wheeler width
somewhere between single track and double track, kind of like a World
Cup Course. The one (mostly) rideable climb up that I saw starts at the
Google Earth placemark attached.  I had fat 2.3 tires on and that is
probably advisable with all the sand.  I will put some info on
nmcycling as I explore more.  I am in the south valley now and this is
pretty close for me.
Get off I25 at Los Lunas at Highway 6/Main St, take Highway 6 back NW
towards Laguna to Huning Ranch, go south until it ends.  Ride about
1/2mi south after the end of the road, and you will see the
doubletrack climbing going up onto the mountain.  After the first
steep bit, there is a ~150m sand hikeabike, after which the climb is
mostly rideable again.
yourstruly at fastmail.com