[NMCycling] For health benefits, there is no upper bound on aerobic exercise

John Vance via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Mon Oct 22 15:49:27 MDT 2018

So, I found this:
https://academic.oup.com/eurheartj/article-pdf/34/47/3624/17354170/eht188.pdf
<https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjo_am6_preAhUkITQIHcUoB7kQFjABegQIBxAB&url=https%3A%2F%2Facademic.oup.com%2Feurheartj%2Farticle-pdf%2F34%2F47%2F3624%2F17354170%2Feht188.pdf&usg=AOvVaw2eqHQ9zK8Kc-dNNn6Ax_KZ>

The overall risk of arrythmias was 18 cases per 10,000 years at risk.  The
hazard ratio for the fastest or most frequently competing was 1.3.  The
endpoint was not death, but rather cases of arrythmia.  There was NO
association found with cases of cardiac arrest or sudden cardiac death vs
frequently competing or being a faster finisher.

> We did not observe higher incidence of sudden cardiac death with higher
number of completed races or finishing time, but again it must be stressed
that this study does not compare with the normal population. We have
previously shown that participants in *Vasaloppet* have lower mortality
than the general population and that mortality decreases with increasing
number of races.