[NMCycling] NMES Cruces Basin Ball Buster Pre-ride info

Nathan Berg via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Aug 29 13:03:18 MDT 2019

Hi Folks,
Last email I promise but I received a couple questions about the logistics
for arriving at the campground.   I'm honestly not sure if there's a host,
or how it is supposed to work exactly as I've never used the campground
before.  I've just dry camped in the NF with my trailer.  If anyone arrives
before I do and someone wants info it is reserved in my name, reservation
#0117780493-1.  We have a total of 5 sites (#5-9), each site is meant to
accommodate 2 vehicles and 6 people.
Technically the reservation ends on Sunday morning, which is because the
campground stops taking reservations on 9/1 and becomes walk-up only.  So
on Sunday night we'll just have to pay for whatever sites we're occupying
for that night ($16/site).
I'm targeting arriving close to 2 PM tomorrow.
Cheers,
Nate

On Thu, Aug 29, 2019 at 11:33 AM Nathan Berg <thebikefitter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> A few final notes for this upcoming weekend's Cruces Basin Ball Buster out
> of Hopewell Lake.  There's only a handful of people signed up at the moment
> so if you're looking at a last minute decision to come up and ride/camp for
> one or all days don't worry about needing to register, there will be plenty
> of space.  Weather is looking fantastic with highs in the mid 80's and lows
> in the mid 40's.
>

> Group Campsite 2 consists of individual sites 5-9, check in is 2 PM Friday
> so if you arrive after that you should be able to use any available space
> in those sites.  There is supposed to be water available at the campground
> but as of a report from Joe last weekend it was down for repair so plan to
> bring enough to get you through your stay.
>

> There is no cell phone service in this area so be sure to have downloaded
> your GPS files.
>

> Because of the remoteness of the course it is very difficult to arrange
> water drops.  That said there are generally good water options on the
> routes (all of these require the use of filtration/purification):
>

> Brazos Ridge CDT and Gravel Epic: After passing through Osier you cross
> the Rio Los Pinos, this is a good spot to filter at about the furthest
> point out on the course.  You'll also cross the Rio Los Pinos on FR87
> between FR133 and FR93.  Gravel riders will cross this both outbound and on
> the return.  CDT riders will not cross this on the return.
>
> Brazos Ridge CDT Full: Lagunitas creek has had a reasonable flow in it
> when I've encountered it.  You cross it on the CDT shortly after crossing
> FR87 from Lagunitas campground heading south.  On the way outbound you will
> cross the Rio Los Pinos on FR87 between FR133 and FR93, you may just want
> to top up here to be safe.
>
> Brazos Ridge CDT Half: You'll cross Rio San Antonio on FR93 before you
> reach FR87, or a few miles later on FR87 before you reach FR133.
> El Rito Gravel Epic:  This one could be a challenge to find good
> water.  The best option is when you cross the Rio Vallecitos in the
> community of Vallecitos, however I have encountered some aggressive dogs in
> Vallecitos.  One option is probably El Rito creek which you will cross
> after the major descent on FR106 immediately before you turn left on 559
> although this is a seasonal creek and may have little/no flow.  This is at
> the far south end.  I spoke with a person at the El Rito Ranger Station who
> indicated if the Fire service guys were around there could be access to a
> water tap there.  This is on your left shortly after the left turn in El
> Rito.  In a pinch if you locate the water tap and top up it is better to
> ask forgiveness than to have an issue later.  Those who choose to shorten
> the route and not do the southernmost loop should not count on finding
> water.  There are a few small creeks that might work, but they may not be
> flowing well and likely fouled by cows.

> [...]

Nathan Berg
F.I.S.T. Certified Tri/TT and Road Race Bike Fitter
F.I.S.T. Equipped Fit Center: EXiT cycling fit bike, Computrainer
Resistance Unit, Purely Custom Variable Length Crank.
Pedal/Shoe interface trained by Paul Swift of BikeFit LLC
http://fit2wincycling.com
(505)980-5388