[NMCycling] HB 192 -- 5-Feet To Pass Bicycles Bill

Brian Kreimendahl via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Tue Feb 19 10:01:42 MST 2019

All:

HB 192, the Five Feet to Pass Bicycles Bill, is through two House Committees (Transportation , Public Works, and Capital Improvements 9-0; Judiciary 9-2) and is now headed to the full House for a floor vote.  The date of the House floor vote is not yet known, but we anticipate that it will be soon.

The timing is right for New Mexico bicyclists to contact their State Representative with a simple expression of support for HB 192.  What is important is that bicyclists contact the State Representative in their home district.  We recommend that this be done both by email and by telephone to the Capitol (not a personal or work) number listed for their Representative.  All forms of communication with Representatives on behalf of HB 192 should be courteous and respectful.

Telephone and email support for HB 192 can be this simple: “Hi, my name is _______ and I am a constituent of Rep. _______ and I fully support HB 192” or “Rep. ______, I live in your District and I fully support HB 192.”

Bicyclists may identify their Representative and their Representative’s contact information at this link:

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Members/Find_My_Legislator

There is a video tutorial on how to use the Find My Legislator page:

https://www.nmlegis.gov/Website_Tutorials?Video=FindingLegislators

Please do not yet contact your State Senator.  If HB 192 passes the House, then we are on to the Senate for what we anticipate to be a two committee process before a full Senate floor vote where we will then ask for additional help with the Senate.

If you have any questions or concerns, please let me know.

This simple task of contacting your State Representative absolutely matters on moving HB 192 through the State House of Representatives.

Thank you,

Brian Kreimendahl
For Bike Santa Fe
Santa Fe, New Mexico