[NMCycling] Fwd: Tour of the Gila request

Silvio Menezes via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Wed Feb 27 12:10:07 MST 2019

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Michelle Geels <silvergeels at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Feb 27, 2019 at 11:55
Subject: Tour of the Gila request
CC: Jack Brennan <brennan5231 at comcast.net>

Hello,
The organizers of the Tour of the Gila are busy preparing for the 2019
event - May 1-5; and would like to expand our request for drivers,
particularly for the UCI events outside of our local community. Silver City
has a fantastic volunteer base, but the requirements of the pro races
require a more experienced type of driver, as well as certain types of
vehicles, for the COMM and Race Doctor positions. I'm hoping you have a
network that you may share my following request with for these events.
If you would, please copy and paste this message and send out to your
contacts that you feel may be interested. I really appreciate any help you
can give.
Michelle Geels
Tour of the Gila
575-590-0203

Hi,
The Tour of the Gila is looking for some experienced race caravan drivers
for this year's event - May 1 - 5, 2019. The Men and Women's UCI races
entail some key positions and specific vehicles to fill International race
requirements.
Each race has 3 *COMM positions* - a driver that chauffeurs an
official(commissaire) within the race caravan. Knowledge of road racing is
a must. Cars are one of the difficult challenges we have. Being such a
small community, our access to this limited type of vehicle required by the
UCI is another reason we need to expand our search. Each COMM driver needs
to be in a vehicle that is 6'6" or less in height, as well as having a sun
roof, so the official may stand and gain a better view of the racers.
Also needed are the *Race Doctor positions.* These drivers will have 2 race
doctors/medical personnel in their vehicle and need to be comfortable
driving alongside racers if they need medical attention while riding. The
vehicle for this position needs to be a convertible for these reasons. The
Tour of the Gila has provided rentals in the past.
If you have the experience to take on one of these positions and you have a
car that fits the bill, fantastic! If you want to drive, but don't have
access to the right kind of car, please do still contact us. Experienced
drivers are definitely needed! We will work to pair you up with a
vehicle.This is a terrific opportunity to be right in the mix of the
excitement of these world-class races! If you have a serious interest in
being involved this year, please contact Michelle to discuss.
Drivers would not be needed during the Saturday downtown criterium, so this
would give you the chance to enjoy the great character and ambience that
Silver City has to offer.

As always, many volunteers are needed for different types of jobs during
the Tour of the Gila, so please contact me if you want to be involved in
any way - I will point you in the right direction. Please share this email
with your contacts that may be like to be part of the Tour of the Gila
experience.

Sincerely,
Michelle Geels
Tour of the Gila