[NMCycling] Update: HB 192, the 5-Feet To Pass Bicycles Bill

Benjamin George via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Thu Jan 31 17:32:00 MST 2019

I'm curious if there will be any public relations around this issue because
if the 3 feet rule was observed by motorists and enforced by police it
would work just fine.  Motorists simply don't know the laws regarding
cyclists and this new law will do little for our safety if drivers aren't
aware of it. Also, I can't tell you how many times I have been right hooked
or nearly nipped by a driver who was texting that it crazy.

On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 2:45 PM Jackie Shane via Bike-racers <
bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:

> Brian,
> Just want to say thank you for all the hard work that you, Catherine and
> Angelica put into getting a "do-pass" in committee and on crafting the
> proposed legislation in the first place.  This is nothing short of amazing
> work.  We not only saw bi-partisan support on this issue, but the chair of
> the committee asked if it could not be drafted so as to increase the
> proposed fine for breaking the law.
> Many thanks,
> Jackie Shane
>
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 1:29 PM Brian Kreimendahl via Bike-racers <
> bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com> wrote:
>
>> All:
>>
>> Today HB 192, the 5-Feet To Pass Bicycles Bill, received a unanimous "do
>> pass" from the House Transportation, Public Works, and Capital Improvements
>> Committee. Not one Representative on the Committee voted no.
>>
>> Thank you to Bill sponsor Rep. Angelica Rubio who testified and
>> Catherine Rivard, Esq., who served as the formal Expert testifying on
>> behalf of the Bill.  And always thanks to Bill co-sponsor Sen. Peter
>> Wirth who has been tremendous in his support.Also big thanks to Carl
>> Gable, Jackie Shane, and Jennifer Wellington who all spoke as bike
>> advocates during the public comment period.
>>
>> Oh BTW, Carl had major league hip replacement surgery on Monday and so
>> Thursday morning he's at The Roundhouse on behalf of HB 192 for the Santa
>> Fat Tire Society.
>>
>> Also present at the hearing was newly minted New Mexico Secretary of
>> Transportation Ray Sandoval, Franklin Garcia from NMDOT's Traffic Safety
>> Division (who wrote a wonderful analysis of HB 192 for NMDOT and also spoke
>> at the hearing), and Rosa Kozub from NMDOT Planning.
>>

>> Thank you to everyone that took the time to write or call on behalf of HB
>> 192. Next up is the House Judiciary Committee where we are now awaiting a
>> hearing date and I no doubt will again be asking for your support.
>>

>> HM 10, the House Memorial promoting bikepacking in New Mexico carried by
>> Rep. Rubio, was today continued to a future hearing date in the Energy,
>> Environment, & Natural Resources Committee.
>>

>> Best regards,

*~Benjamin J. George*