[NMCycling] Fwd: HB 192 (5-Feet To Pass Bicycles) Final Vote-Help

Doug via Bike-racers bike-racers at mailman.swcp.com
Sat Mar 16 02:42:59 MDT 2019

"To the extent practicable, a person shall not operate a bicycle within a
vehicle lane if a separate posted or painted bicycle lane or pathway is
provided within or adjacent to the roadway". Are there any streets or roads
that have no bike lane but do have an adjacent pathway? If so, bicycles will
be prohibited. This statement could be used to cite bicyclists who wish to
ride outside of narrow, so called bike lanes (Juan Tabo south of Southern
Blvd comes to mind) or when a bicyclist rides in the lane while avoiding
debris in a suitable bike lane.

I've been told by a police officer that I shouldn't be riding on Tramway
while on the North-South portion. I think the "extent practicable" wording
will be ignored by law enforcement.

I often have motorists yell from their vehicles "you should be riding on the
path that is been provided for bicycles". Motorists can cite this law to
force police to cite riders, for example, on Tramway and Paseo del Norte and
we'll be back to before the City Council permitted bicycles on limited
access roads..