[NMCycling] Road Trip!

Matthew Hess matthew at mlhess.com
Thu Jul 9 21:03:25 MDT 2020

Hello Bike Racers,

I work as a field service engineer for a biotech company. That means I travel around installing and repairing biomedical research equipment. Before COVID-19, I would fly. But now, I am not quite prepared to get on an airplane. Still, my customers need service, some more than ever because they are doing important COVID-19 research. So...I get to drive.

On Sunday I leave for what is going to be a 3 week trip: Albuquerque - Seattle - San Francisco - LA and home (more details below on the route and itinerary). I am going to bring my mountain bike and make the most of it. Here's the pitch: I'd love to have someone to come along, share the driving, and go riding with. Rental vehicle + gas would be 100% covered. I plan to camp some and stay in decent hotels some (like Hampton Inn). Does this sound like fun to you? If so, please let me know.

-Matthew

Route notes:

  *   Albuquerque to Seattle = ~23 hours drive time via Moab, Salt Lake City, Boise, Yakima.
  *   3 days stay in Seattle for work (July 15, 16, 17)
  *   Seattle to San Francisco =~13 hours drive time via Portland, Eugene, Medford, Redding
  *   4 days in San Francisco area for work (July 20 - 23)
  *   San Francisco to Duarte, CA (City of Hope Hospital)= ~5 hours via I5
  *   2 days in Duarte (July 27, 28)
  *   Duarte to Albuquerque = ~13 hours via Flagstaff (I40).

I am open to variations.