[NMCycling] Crit 7/14 canceled, maybe write the governor.—copy of my letter to Grisham.

Christine Mermier cmermier at unm.edu
Fri Jul 10 13:30:27 MDT 2020

I am an exercise physiologist and I and my colleagues have read about and discussed this issue at length. Once you wear a mask while doing moderate-strenuous continuous exercise, the moisture from your expired air renders a mask useless. My suggestion for outdoor exercise is to wear aa mask around the neck and put it on when you see you will be passing people within 6-10 ft, then remove it. I rode S14 this morning and passed just one cyclist and otherwise only saw people in cars. There is no way it would have made sense to wear a mask in that situation.

I urge everyone to write. She did change her mind about bike shops after a writing campaign.
Christine