[NMCycling] carbon question

ROBERT CIPOLETTI rdcipoletti at comcast.net
Mon Jul 27 20:27:21 MDT 2020

I needed to replace the tubeless tape on a carbon rim, and the removal of the valve stem didn't go well. It was unusually stubborn, and in the process of tapping it out it raised a flake of carbon adjacent to the valve hole. It's still pretty strong. I know this because I slipped another valve stem in the hole to see how much of the damage would be covered, and I had a heck of a time getting that one out! But did so without further damage. Scary (black) hole.

Nevertheless, there is a flap/flake, although not a gap beyond the valve hole. I wouldn't hesitate to ride on it, but am not at all sure it'll hold air, especially since the flap, which is the width of the valve hole, extends about halfway into the shoulder of the rim bed (one side only).

Any experience with this one? Any advice for a proper/professional fix?

RDC