[NMCycling] Sandia Ski Area Roller Coaster Publc Comment

Aaro Heinonen aaropaavo at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 9 13:08:57 MDT 2020

 Counterpoint:
I have worked at Purgatory resort in July for most of the past 11 summers.  Development and tourism have bred more development and tourism and sadly, traffic.  11 years ago I would ride from Durango to Silverton, or even Ouray, but not today.  Once past Purgatory resort the constant stream of traffic in both directions and narrow roads make it a less than wonderful experience. 11 summers ago I would carry bear spray on my 6 am runs from the resort.  Now, I just have to be mindful of the constant traffic: campers, motor homes, construction trucks and commuters traveling to Silverton or Durango.  I can't see the benefit to cyclists of even more development and tourism to the area.  Four years ago I encountered a bear at the four mile marker while riding solo up to the Crest.  It would be nice to continue to have those experiences.  I think I already encounter enough vehicular traffic.
Aaro Paavo Heinonen