[NMCycling] Sandia Ski Area Roller Coaster Publc Comment

Clay Moseley tclaynm at gmail.com
Wed Sep 9 14:14:07 MDT 2020

All valid points about habitats, nature, and overuse by people, etc.  I
would assume that the ski area's operational permit with the USFS would
have to be amended, thereby triggering a reassessment of the land use.  In
turn, that presumably requires a new EA/BA and public comment period toward
the goal of achieving a "FONSI" (finding of no significant impact).  This
will not go quietly in the dark of night, and there are a lot of steps
along the path of being a permitted land use.  It is not a permitted
function yet under Sandia's operational permit.  I suggest that everyone
who is against this to write into and engage with the Cibola National
Forest (Sandia Ranger District) with your concerns and know what the public
process is for application, review, and approval.

And from Benjamin Ubayyed's comment: "Third, yes, there is a ski lift
structure built as it is obviously a ski area, which I consider a
carbon-neutral, natural activity."
Umm, here in the SW area of the USA do not produce carbon-free
electricity.  Alpine skiing chairlifts (old Sandia Peak Riblet ones in
particular) operate on 100+ HP, 480V electric motors, from power generated
by natural gas and coal fired steam turbines.  Only a very small portion
comes from carbon-free sources around here.